Sunday, January 24, 2010

God the Protector

Last night while I was home alone I stood in a chair to open the ceiling vent to get more heat circulating in the room. When I stepped down out of the chair, my foot was entangled in it somehow and I fell on the floor. KABOOM, bottom first. (I can thank the NCCU School of Education building for the two flights of stairs I take daily that have given me the new cushion on my bottom for buffering the fall. Those stairs are just as good as a stair master. ) And then BOOM back of the head hitting the lightly padded carpet in my living room, but feeling as though my head hit a soft concrete slab. At the moment I saw stars and was frightened I’d pass out and no one would know. But as I rolled over on my stomach I realized that I was ok, I had been protected by God. I kept still until the throbbing in my head stopped.
I remember thinking all night “now what was that all about.” Why was it necessary for me to fall out of the chair and bang my head so hard on the living room floor? I don’t know, but I’m one of those people who has to have an answer for everything. I’ve always been that way. So today, I found my answer.
My sister said to me yesterday, you asked to be in God’s Will. Well yes I have. And that got me to thinking. When I pray, I’ve prayed for God, to lead, guide and protect me and my children, family and friends. But are those merely words or do I actually expect that God would do what I ask?
I believe as I’m moving into another phase in my life, God is requiring me to understand fully who he is. One of the ways He’s asking me to acknowledge Him is God the Protector. No matter what calamity I may encounter, I believe God wants me to recognize the He’s got me and mine. And for that I am truly appreciative.
I’m learning that as I pray for God’s Will, I am relinquishing all power to Him and relying upon his judgment to reign supreme in my life. Great place to be, but realize that “my” will is nonexistent when I ask for His Will to be done and His Will is the only Will I need in this journey we call life.

No comments: